A Tour of My Bookcase

Glimpse A Bookcase, Glimpse An Inner Life

Victorian House by Richard Burns

In the old Victorian mansions such as this one, a whole area had a library for all the family books, not just a wimpy bookcase. It was often in the round area of the house.

Whenever I visit anyone, anywhere, I always browse through their books. Library, hotel lobby, friend, acquaintance, doctor or dentist's office...it doesn't matter. 

Of course I ask for permission but no one ever refuses. I think you can get to know a lot about a person by perusing the contents of their bookcases.

Do they have lots and lots of books? Do they have a few cherished ones? What are the subjects? How do they arrange the books? Are they messy or haphazard, or are they methodical? And relevant to the age of the person, what have they chosen to keep after a lifetime of experience?

Or if they are parents, what do they choose/allow for their children?

So here are the contents of my own particular bookcase...and you will know more about me after your tour is over. Enjoy!

If you are shopping for a bookcase, Click here.

Painting is "Victorian House" by Richard Burns, All Rights Reserved. 
Used with Permission (he's my husband)

Protected by Copyscape Web Plagiarism Scanner



Inspirational

Spiritual/Seeking

Angel of the Dawn  by Richard Burns
Angel of the Dawn © 2009 by Richard Burns

This is by far the largest category of Books


I have religious texts from many religions, and little spiritual postings in many magazines and pamphlets. I have studied world religion extensively.

Eastern, Western, old and new, extreme to mainstream, I have probably studied it.

Just for the sheer story telling power of it, one of my favorites is Autobiography of a Yogi, by Paramahansa Yogananda. I loved it so much that I bought a leather copy!

I also have several Bibles, the Bagavad Gita, and many spiritual books, obscure and not so obscure, including very old ones and many books about Angels.

Autobiography of a Yogi 
Paramahansa Yogananda

One of my favorite books of all time. So well written! You don't have to care about his spiritual practices to appreciate the story he tells. 



Astronomy and Other Science

Here are some of the Science books I have...

~The entire Cosmos series by Carl Sagan
~Many science books by Carl Sagan
~Books by Stephen Hawking
~Books about alchemy, astrophysics, and quantum physics
~Books by Einstein and about him





Reference/Professional

Of course I have the standard dictionaries, thesaurus, atlas of the world and encyclopedias…plus random “How to” books, like How to train a dog, cut hair, make greeting cards, fix everything, etc.

Art and Artists and Crafts

Moon Angel © 2009 by Richard Burns 

My husband is a working Artist, and I have been an artist off and on all my life too.

So to me, books about art are professional since we both use them for reference in our work.

Here are some of the types of books on my book shelves:

~Interior Design books of all kinds from starting to finishing projects…
~Many books about individual Artists’ works…
~Many books on how to fix up a house and do basic light construction.
~Many books on how to do various crafts and artwork
~Many books on how to sell artwork
~Crochet, knitting, and working with fabrics books
~Patterns for sewing, knitting, and crochet
~Sheet Music

Frontispiece to the Dictionary of Music by Jean Jacques Rousseau (1712-78), 1768 (Engraving)

Real Estate, Manage Money
Financial Books

I  worked in the field of Real Estate for over 20 years. Here are some categories of books I have.

~How to make money, how to keep it, how to grow it, how to make more of it, how to make it again if you’ve lost it, etc
~Real Estate: How to buy, sell, trade, exchange tax free, find before others
~How to do real estate on the internet
~Many Real Estate text books
~How to start an internet business
~8 shelves of these books!

Financial and Real Estate Books
Help With Finances

I don't love Robert Allen's seminars nor all of his books, but I do love these particular ones. Many life lessons for now and the future.

The One Minute Millionaire: 
The Enlightened Way to Wealth
  Mark Victor Hansen, Robert G. Allen



Multiple Streams of Income: How to Generate 
A Lifetime of Unlimited Wealth!
  Robert G. Allen




Natural Area


Nature/Travel
Travel and Adventure



I love Nature and Travel and have many books about both.

~Huge selection of Natural Wonder books.
~Huge selection of books about National Parks.
~Huge selection of books about birds.
~Collection of maps of cities, states, countries.
~Collection of city guidebooks
~Huge selection of books about Nature in general 
~Examples: Butterflies, rocks, stars, trees, animals,
oceans of the world, shells, etc
~Several shelves worth of these!



Gardening and Herbs


I have a whole bookshelf about gardening and landscaping and photo books of flowers and herbs. And since I’m an Herbalist, I could have listed the herbal ones in the professional section. But since I grow my own herbs for cooking and medicinal uses, I keep the herb books in with the gardening ones. 

My mother’s side of the family owned plantations in the South, and my father’s family are mostly farmers, so I have a gardening background for sure! I love fresh garden vegetables and herbs.

Great Herbal and Gardening Books


Family Area


Children's or Parenting
How to Parent

~How to be a parent, how not to mess up parenting, how to remain sane while you are a parent, especially of teenagers, etc
~How to be a good wife, a good mother, a supermom, a stay at home mom, a good friend, how to get everything on sale, etc
~How to take care of your children when the medical care they are getting is not enough
~What you can do for yourself to stay healthy, what vitamins are good for you, and what areas of the body are these herbs and vitamins good for?
~What about for your children and your pets?

I have 2 shelves for these areas of interest…
and another one with leather bound children’s books I have collected…and favorite fairy tales.

All my photo albums and all my scrapbooks are there too, hidden behind cabinet doors.


Great Parenting Books
How to Parent


Cookbooks
Food and Cooking

Since I have travelled so much, I have gotten to enjoy many different cuisines, and sometimes I pick up a cookbook or two while on vacation so I can remember the wonderful food, and have recipes to make some myself. What this means is that I have lots and lots of cookbooks from all over the world….(and shot glasses, but I digress)



Great Cook Books
Easy Cooking



Fiction

Poetry

I love to read and write poetry… just love the ability to be concise and convey emotion simultaneously.

Favorite Poets

Kahlil Gibran
James Dillet Freeman
Rod McKuen
e.e. cummings
T.S Eliot
Robert Frost

Here is my favorite e.e.cummings poem
(transcribed exactly the way it was written)

i carry your heart with me

i carry your heart with me(i carry it in
my heart)i am never without it(anywhere
i go you go,my dear, and whatever is done
by only me is your doing,my darling)
i fear
no fate(for you are in my fate,my sweet)i want
no world(for beautiful you are my world, my true)
and it’s you are whatever a moon has always meant
and whatever a sun will always sing is you

here is the deepest secret nobody knows
(here is the root of the root and the bud of the bud
and the sky of the sky of a tree called life;which
grows
higher than the soul can hope or mind can hide)
and this is the wonder that’s keeping the stars apart

i carry your heart(i carry it in my heart)



And here is my favorite James Dillet Freeman poem:

Oneness

Search as I may, I cannot find
Where my body is and not my mind,
Is the flower not the vine as much as the root?
Are the branches less or more than the fruit?
Let any small leaf fall, the whole
Vine trembles. At the inmost soul
And center of life’s being, none
Is less or more: we are all one.
Did You not say, Lord, You are the vine,
We are the branches, You are the wine!
To put on my humanity,
You had to share yourself with me;
I am the cup, and You are poured
In me, through me, over me, Lord.


Mystery Poster





I Love Mysteries


I have almost all of the Nero Wolfe series of books by Rex Stout, lots of Agatha Christie books, and many Mary Stewart books.

Favorite Authors

Rex Stout
Kurt Vonnegut
F. Scott Fitzgerald
Earnest Hemingway
Dan Brown
Mary Stewart


Some Really Good Classic Books



Need a Bookcase for All Your Books?

I already have 7 bookcases!
But it looks like I'll need
another one soon...

Popular Bookcases
Books, Books, Books



 Bookcase Poster


Trompe l'Oeil of a Bookcase



So that's me in a bookcase. Better than a nutshell, I hope! 


Food-decor-kids.blogspot.com